Bigger, stronger and smarter, the all-new 2020 GMC Sierra Heavy Duty combines greater trailering capability with technologies designed to provide customers with a world-class towing experience.
Form and function come together in the new Sierra Heavy Duty, with features that include:
- Enhanced Trailering features offer class-leading available 15 camera views, including a segment-first transparent trailer view to virtually see through a trailer in tow.
- A segment-exclusive available 15-inch-diagonal head-up display that offers useful trailering information, including vehicle speed, navigation information and an inclinometer display for the road grade.
- An available segment-first Rear Camera Mirror.
- MultiPro, the world’s first six-function tailgate, allows easier loading, unloading and bed access and is available on all trim levels.
- A larger, commanding design that provides more room for cargo and occupants.
- Best-in-class Crew Cab front headroom and legroom for the driver and other front-row occupants.
Sierra HD continues to offer the ultimate expression of professional grade materials and refinement. The all-new model delivers power, intelligence and segment advancements to meet the needs of heavy-duty customers with discerning taste.
Advanced Trailering Features
The Advanced Trailering System leverages technology advancements to offer additional features and functionality for the 2020 Sierra Heavy Duty.
An available class-leading 15 unique camera views, including an industry-first transparent trailer view, help optimize the driver’s view around the truck and compatible trailers to provide added confidence when towing. The revolutionary transparent trailer feature uses the tailgate-mounted camera and an available accessory camera mounted on the rear of the trailer. The resulting display helps the driver to virtually see through the trailer, a benefit when navigating parking lots, merging into traffic or making tight turns.
Additional available technologies and hardware to aid trailering include:
- Auto Electric Park Brake to automatically apply the parking brake to help maintain truck position when hitching.
- All-new Park Grade Hold Assist enhances hill hold by using braking effort at each wheel for an extended period of time.
- All-new larger, door-mounted trailering mirrors with a four-bar link providing power extend and retract for the driver and passenger sides.
- Integrated trailer brake controller.
- Tow/Haul mode that remains engaged on the next key-on cycle, for up to four hours; includes a reminder the feature is engaged.
- Hill Start Assist and Hill Descent Control.
- Trailer Sway Control.
- Auto Grade Braking
- Digital Variable Steering Assist that dynamically optimizes power steering according to driving scenarios, including trailering, and enables features like road pull compensation.
Bigger and bolder
The 2020 Sierra HD has a commanding, powerful design rooted in a new architecture with larger proportions. It is taller and longer, with a more confident stance defined by a bold design that epitomizes GMC’s signature refinement and technologically driven attention to detail.
The all-new Sierra HD is highlighted by new signature lighting, including prominent “light blades” that deliver LED illumination for the daytime running lamps. LEDs are also used for the headlamps, taillamps, available fog lamps and other illuminative elements, including the available roof marker lights standard on all dual-rear-wheel HDs and all Sierra HD Denalis.
Inside, the Sierra HD’s new interior has best-in-class front head- and legroom (maximum), with Crew Cab models. A higher seating position complements the truck’s taller profile to offer a confident view from behind the wheel. Additional optimized ergonomics emphasize easy, intuitive interaction with the vehicle’s available technologies, such as a heavy-duty segment-first head-up display and GMC’s latest touchscreen infotainment systems.
Denali-exclusive materials — including premium leather-appointed seating, authentic open-pore wood trim and dark-finish aluminum decor — raise the interior’s refinement. The leather appointments have a distinctive, large-pebbled grain with a contrasting stitch pattern that is premium in appearance and touch without sacrificing durability, and the wood trim features an open-pore texture evocative of hand-planed furniture.
Compared to the current model, the new Sierra Heavy Duty has:
- A longer wheelbase, a taller, more dominant hood line and taller overall height.
- A larger grille to feed an advanced cooling system.
- Class-leading heavy-duty cargo bed volume and 12 corner tie-downs with a new, available 230-volt power outlet.
- One-inch-lower bed lift-in height compared to the 2019 Sierra Heavy Duty, providing easier loading and fifth-wheel and gooseneck trailer hitching.
- New, segment-exclusive cargo bed side steps on all box styles, located in front of the rear wheel openings, that complement integrated CornerSteps in the rear bumper to improve access to the cargo area.
- World’s first six-function MultiPro tailgate available on SLE and standard on SLT and Denali.
Confident trailering power
For the 2020 Sierra HD, the new 6.6L V-8 Engine equipped with Direct Injection and Variable
Valve Timing offers 401 HP [299 kW] @ 5200 rpm and 629 N-m of torque [464 lb-ft] @ 4000 rpm.
The new Sierra HD 6.6L V-8 is mated to a 6-speed Heavy-Duty automatic transmission.
The bigger frame, stronger propulsion and smarter technologies are expected to deliver dramatically greater towing capacity than previous models.
The 2020 Sierra HD in Crew Cab and Extended Cab are available across showrooms in the region in 2500HD and 3500HD dual rear wheel and single rear wheel configurations.
The Regular Cab version will be coming to the region soon.